Inspiration: Body Movement
Short Stories & Book Excerpts
Ads, Documentaries & Speeches
Yoga has helped people recover from serious injuries, helped drug addicts, and helped people age gracefully.
- Arthur Boorman: 47-year old paratrooper with knee braces and canes in both hands. Inspired by Dallas Diamond Yoga. Recovered in less than an year. Started running!
- Alexander Medin: A yoga teacher who has helped drug addicts overcome their addictions through yoga and helping them get connected to the community.
- Nick Montoya: overcame obesity and depression via yoga. Left his tech job to become a full time yoga teacher.
- Tao Porchon-Lynch: 96-year old yoga teacher.
- Matthew Sanford: Met with an accident at age 13. Later became a certified yoga teacher.
- Jessamyn Stanley: An inspiration to fat people who are typically hesitant to step into yoga classes because everybody else looks slender in comparison.
- Nanammal: 97-year old yoga teacher in India.
- Dr Rajkumar: Famous Kannada movie actor who learnt yoga at age 54.
- Erik Weihenmayer: Climbed Mt Everest, kayaked the Grand Canyon (blind).
- Bill Irwin: Hiked the Appalachian Trail, guided only by his dog (blind).
- Kyle Maynard: Mt Kilimanjaro and Mt Aconcagua without the aid of prosthetics (congenital, quadruple amputee).
- Niki Rellon: Hiked the Appalachian Trail after losing one of her legs 16 months earlier due to a climbing accident.
- Enock Glidden: Climbed El Capitan with the help of a crew. He is paralyzed waist down from birth.
- Stacey Kozel: Hiked the Appalachian Trail using specialized equipment for her legs, both of which are paralyzed.
- Christian Haettich: Long distance cyclist. He lost an arm and a leg in a motorbike accident.
- Philippe Croizon: Swam the English Channel. He lost both of his legs and arms in a home accident.
Have you heard of "Dance Walking" and "Treadmill Dance"? :)
Fauja Singh: 100-year old marathon runner who started running at age 89.
Lan Yin Tsai: 91-year old long distance cyclist who has finished the 2-day, 150-mile "Biks MS City to Shore Ride" for 32 consecutive years.
Karl Obermeyer: 95-year old skier who has practiced Aikido for 35 years.
Madonna Buder ('The Iron Nun'): 82-year old triathlete. She picked up running at age 48.
Greta Pontarelli: 66-year old pole dancer who picked up these skills at age 59.
George Jedenoff: 96-year old skier.
Charles Eugster: 96-year old body builder.
Nanammal: 97-year old yoga teacher.
Ernestine Shepherd: 79-year old competitive bodybuilder who started going to the gym at age 56.
Ruth Heidrich: 81-year old triathlete who combated cancer at age 47 by switching to a plant based diet.
Nick Scott: Wheelchair Bodybuilder.
Anand Arnold: Wheelchair Bodybuilder.
Megi and Georgi: Deaf and blind dancers.
Mandy Harvey: Deaf jazz singer.
Nick Vujicic: Motivational speaker without arms and legs.
Sri Chinmoy (1931 - 2007) was an Indian spiritual guru who emphasized physical fitness. At the age of 54, he took up weightlifting. In 1999 and 2004, he gave public demonstrations of feats of strength. He was 68 and 73, respectively, in those years. Why was he weightlifting? To inspire others!
Mark Block was a 22-year old athlete in University of Iowa. After a near-fatal accident left him paralyzed below his neck, he made a remarkable recovery — after several months of therapy, he surprised everybody by walking on a cane from the hospital. Sometime later, he enrolled in a marathon training course (!) and defied everybody's expectations by walking 15 miles on marathon day. Later, he got married and had a daughter. He no longer needs a brace to walk and can run short distances.
26 Feb 2013
© Copyright 2008—2017, Gurmeet Manku.