» Official Trail Map: Good map showing various trails.
» Official Camping Map: Good map showing various trails.
» Walker's Map of San Francisco by Pease Press: Excellent quality maps showing many parks and trails in the San Francisco area. Many of these parks do not have free trail maps online. Cost was $7.95 in April 2011.
Parking: Excellent directions. There is a map at the bottom of this page that shows locations of parking locations. The parking near the ferry terminal is expensive ($16 for 5 hours). There are other parking lots near Beach Street which offer $5 parking for the whole day.
To Angel Island: From the Angel Island Ferry terminal in Tiburon, take a ferry to Angel Island. In September 2012, round-trip cost was $13.50 per person. Ferries run every hour. The first ferry was at 10am.
To Mt Livermore (2.1 miles): From the point where the ferry drops off passengers on Angel Island, follow North Ridge Trail (1.7 miles) → right on Mt Livermore Trail (0.4 miles) to reach the top of Mt Livermore. There are picnic tables at the top with awesome 360-degree views of Tiburon peninsula and Golden Gate Bridge.
To Perimeter Road (2.6 miles): From Mt Livermore, follow Mt Livermore Trail (0.4 miles) → continue along Sunset Trail (1.0 miles) to reach a fire road. Turn right on the fire road. After 30 feet, turn left to continue along Sunset Trail (1.2 miles) to reach Perimeter Road, which is a wide paved road encircling the island.
To Ferry Terminal (6.1 miles): Follow Perimeter Road (5.3 miles) in anti-clockwise direction, with side trip to Perles Beach (0.6 miles round trip). Perimeter Road is a wide paved road that encircles the island with many vista points that are worthy of exploration.
- Camp Reynolds: This area generates a feeling of expansiveness and provides coastal access too.
- Battery Ledyard: Short side trip down to an abandoned battery.
- Perles Beach: An unmarked trail from Perimeter Road goes down to Perles Beach. Total distance: 0.6 miles round-trip.
- Quarry Beach: A nice long beach near Fort McDowell.
- Fort McDowell: A bunch of abandoned buildings.
- China Cove - Immigration Station (North Garrison): In the north east section of Angel Island.
- Ayala Cove: Near the ferry terminal at Angel Island.